College English Test
Part I Vocabulary and Structure （40 %）
Directions In this part there are 40 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
21. Mary regretted ____ to John's birthday party last Sunday.
A. not going B. not to go
C. not having been going D. not to be going
22. The famous novel is said _____ into Chinese.
A. to have translated
C. to have been translated
23. Standing on the bank, the children watched the ship _____with all of goods.
A. loading B. being loaded
C. to be loaded D. having loaded
24. I ____ writing the article by the time you get back.
A. shall finish B. must have finished
C. have finished D. shall have finished
25. Mary never tells anyone what she does for a ____.
A. job B. work
C. profession D. living
26. I' m sorry I couldn't get in touch with him before he left, I ___him earlier.
A. had a telephone B. have phoned
C. should have phoned D. should be phoned
27.With the old man ____ way, we had no trouble in finding that the mysterious cave.
A. leading B. led
C. lead D. to be led
28. ____ anything about the accident, he went to work as well.
A. Not know B. Know not
C. Knowing not D. Not knowing more attractive
29. Nowhere else in the world ___ more attractive scenery than in Switzerland.
A. you can find B. is found
C. can you find D. has been found
30. The voters told the politician that he could____ on their support in the next general elections.
A. expect B. decide
C. count D. doubt
31. An old friend from abroad, ____ I was expecting to stay with, telephoned me from the airport.
A. that B. whom
C. who D. which
32. Peter wishes that he _____law instead of literature when he was in college.
A. could study B. studied
C. had studied D. would study
33. When she heard the bad news, she _____ completely.
A. broke away B. broke up
C. broke down D. broke out
34. He ___ a large fortune from his business.
A. made B. won
C. expected D. gained
35. He never wrote to his father ____ he was in need of money.
A. except B. except when
C. except for D. except that
36. He looked behind him to ____ he was not being followed.
A. believe B. find
C. make sure D. look
37. The car was repaired but not quite to my ____
A. joy B. pleasure
C. attraction D. satisfaction
38. Are you ____ spending more money on the space program？
A. in favor of B. by favor of
C. in favor to D. out of favor
39. Fortunately, the demonstration ____ to be quite peaceful.
A. turned in B. turned out
C. showed off D. showed up
40. ____ was unimportant.
A. Whether he enjoyed our dinner or not
B. No matter how he enjoyed our dinner
C. If he enjoyed our dinner
D. What he enjoyed our dinner
41. Selfish people often take ____of other people's kindness.
A. advantage B. care
C. use D. profit
42. His business is growing so fast that he must____ more workers.
A. take up B. take on
C. take over D. take out
43.It is desirable that he_____.
A. gives up trying B. give up trying
C. would give up trying D. is going to give up trying
44. Young____ he is, he knows what is the right thing to do.
A. that B as
C. although D. however
45. This is one of the best books _____on the subject.
A. that have ever been written
B. which have ever been written
C. that has ever been written
D. whatever have been written
46. We were not surprised at ____, for he had worked so hard.
A. what has he achieved
B. that what he had achieved
C. what he had achieved
D. that he had achieved
47. My room is a mess. It needs ____
A. to be tidying up
B. tidying up
C. to tidy up
D. tidied up
48. A great celebration is going to be held ____ the distinguished writer.
A. in spite of
B. in honor of
C. in favor of
D. in the name of
49. All the members in the jury agreed that the man was ____ of theft.
50. Having finished the letter, he ____ it carefully and sealed the envelop with a kiss.
A. folded B. bent
C. turned D. equipped
51. The police were given an order that the stolen documents must be recovered at all _____.
A. accounts B. conditions
C. payments D. costs
52. This new instrument is far superior _____ the old one we bought three years ago.
A. than B. to
C. over D. of
53. Not until I reminded him for the third time ____working and looked up.
A. that he stopped B. does he stopped
C. did he stop D. that he stopped
54.I am very sorry for ____ for so long.
A. keep you waiting B. having kept you waiting
C. waiting for you D. keep you wait
55. No sooner had they got off the train____ it started moving.
A. when B. than
C. then D. after
56. The teacher has his students ____ a composition every other week.
A. to write B. written
C. writing D. write
57. When and where the new hospital will be built _____a mystery.
A. to remain B. remains
C. remain D. is remaining
58. The middle-aged man was seen _____ out of the house on the afternoon of the murder.
A. came B. come
C. to come D. have come
59. The premier and the visiting foreign minister had a talk in _____ friendly atmosphere.
A. a most B. most
C. very D. the very
60. My next door neighbor Johnson seems to have _____ opinion on the show last night.
A. rather the strong
B. rather strong
C. a rather strong
D. the rather strong
Copyright © 2010 - 2021 湖南求实创新教育科技有限公司 All Right Reserved.