PART III Vocabulary and Structure (20 points)
Directions : There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentences. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
36. The girl learned to like the country dances almost__________ other activities.
A. so much as
B. as much as
C. as many as
D. so many as
37. The turnover capacity of the harbor has increased__________ this year.
A. by two fifth
B. by two fifths
C. to two fifth
D. to two fifths
38. It won’t be long __________ our city can solve the problem of water pollution.
39. All information has been __________as carefully as possible to ensure that it is accurate.
40. The note was to __________ him of something he had to explain to his students.
41. Research opportunities __________ in a wide range of pure and applied mathematics.
42. It is not __________ for me to return all the books now because I still need some of them for my research.
43. For travelers, the dramatic combination of old and new makes for a journey unlike __________.
A. any other
B. each other
C. one another
D. every other
44. The manager first introduced himself to the new employees and then went on __________ the company regulations.
A. with explaining
C. to explain
D. being explaining
45. Many of the world’s greatest novels are reported __________into films in the past few years.
A. to have been made
B. to be made
C. having been made
D. having made
46. There is no point __________ to persuade him to take the risk of starting his own business.
A. to try
B. in trying
C. of trying
D. for trying
47. He heard someone __________ when he happened to be passing through the village.
B. to scream
48. I really appreciate __________ to help me, but I am sure that I can manage by myself.
A. you to offer
B. that you offer
C. your offering
D. you offer
49. After several rounds of talks, both sides regarded the territory dispute __________.
A. being settled
B. to be settled
C. as being settled
D. as settled
50. I wish __________ to be understood that what he did has nothing to do with me.
51. __________ the bad weather, no shipment will arrive this week.
A. On account of
B. By means of
C. In spite of
D. In front of
52. There is __________ reason to believe that we are able to solve this problem on our own.
53. He __________ her as soon as he came back from his business trip.
A. called in
B. called at
C. called on
D. called to
54. While wandering in the yard sale, I __________ a famous painting.
A. came across
B. came to
C. came at
D. came for
55. There are some remote areas in the world that remain __________ by modern civilization.
56. Contrary to the prediction of the opposition, so far Mr. Modale has played largely __________ the rules.
57. The intelligence department was accused of failure to __________ the troops to a possible enemy attack.
58. We need someone really __________who can organize the office and run it smoothly.
59. Valentine’s Day (February 14th) is the day __________ sweethearts exchange gifts or go out to dinner.
A. in which
B. for that
C. on which
D. by that
60. Economists estimate that prices next year will be much higher than __________ we are today.
61. Have you got any definite plans for your future __________ you’ve completed your graduate studies?
A. now that
B. but that
C. in that
D. so that
62. It was __________ that all of us were eager to express our views.
A. so interesting topic
B. such interesting topic
C. such interesting a topic
D. so interesting a topic
63. People under a lot of __________ may experience headaches, minor pains, and sleeping difficulties.
64. Many social problems are obviously caused by uneven __________ of wealth.
65. He should __________ what he’s good at, and not switch to something he knows little about.
A. take on
B. stick to
C. go after
D. live on
66. His total possessions __________ little more than the clothes he stood up in.
A. amounted to
B. settled for
C. turned up
D. equaled to
67. By last month my cousin __________ more than two thousand stamps.
A. had been collecting
B. has collected
C. would have collected
D. had collected
68. In recent years, “Internet” has become one of the __________ words.
69. The __________ of older person is relatively low in developing countries, but is growing faster than in the West.
70. Vicki never worried or hesitated about anything; she __________ whatever she wanted and almost always got it.
A. went over
B. went through
C. went for
D. went without
71. Millions of people in the world go hungry today, not because there isn’t enough food, but because they just have no __________ to the food.
72. When energy is converted from one from to another, some energy is always lost as heat.
__________, no energy conversion is 100% efficient.
A. In other terms
B. In other ways
C. In other words
D. In other conditions
73. Fishing in the company of my father is __________ the most precious memory of my childhood.
A. at times
B. by far
C. since then
D. in general
74. In social dancing, the participants dance for their own pleasure rather than for __________ of the audience.
75. Scientists are now looking for ways to __________ electricity less expensively from renewable sources.
Copyright © 2010 - 2021 湖南求实创新教育科技有限公司（zikaosw.cn）All Right Reserved.