It can be really frustrating(使人沮丧的) for an overweight person to go to a gym and work out
with a positive attitude. All one has to do is walk by almost any nice gym and notice all the healthy,
sweating, “skinny”members. Sometimes they stare at those of us who are , well, zaftig. It is easy to
see the judgment behind their eyes. Who wants to put up with that?
Many people are self-conscious of their bodies and feel isolated when joining workout classes
or while exercising, especially if they are larger than most of the others in the group. Now the
fitness industry is finally paying attention. Popular gyms are catering(迎合) to overweight and
weight conscious customers by dedicating areas where the “skinny” people are not allowed.
There are even gyms or programs that require members to be at least 50 pounds overweight to
Trainers recommended functional fitness as a practical goal, rather than six-pack abs(六块腹
肌). (79)They often use text messages to stay in touch with customers.
Often at these specialized gyms, the trainers are overweight themselves, or working on their
own weight goals, and this can help those people with anxiety caused by poor body image. The
equipment has been designed for use by larger people. Wider seats, more cushioning, no mirrors,
and tinted(有色的) windows for privacy, are all important changes.
(80) Hopefully these types of gyms will successfully grow in numbers in the future. The idea is
a very simple and potentially popular one. If it helps those of us who are bigger exercise more and
improve our fitness level, it’s a step in the right direction.
11. The word zaftig in Paragraph 1 is closest in meaning to ______.
A. fat B. healthy C. friendly D. polite
12. We can infer from the first two paragraphs that ___________.
A. most large gym chains really want members to show up frequently
B. overweight people are often frustrated and pushed away by traditional gym industry
C. regular gyms don’t accept overweight people to participate in their programs
D. overweight people have to pay extra to work out in a gym
13. What is the training goal in the gyms catering to overweight members?
A. To achieve functional fitness. B. To build six-pack abs.
C. To look like a fitness model. D. To be able to run long distances.
14. As for the gyms catering to overweight members, which of the following statements is NOT
A. The machines are designed for larger people.
B. Tinted windows are used to ensure extra privacy.
C. There are larger mirrors on the walls.
D. The training goals are more realistic.
15. Which of the following is the best title for the passage?
A. Improving Women’s Self-confidence through Exercises
B. The Traditional Gym Industry Is Losing Its Customers
C. The Fitness Industry Is Look for New Directions
D. Specialization Gyms Designed for Overweight People
16. When Bill came in, I ____ with my friends.
A. will talk B. talk C. was talking D. have talked
17. John made her ____ him everything about her plan for the trip.
A. to tell B. tell C. told D. tells
18. Lucy goes to school by bike every day, ____ she?
A. does B. doesn't C. is D. isn't
19. I can help ____ whether we should go without raincoats.
A. wonder B. to wonder C. wondering D. wondered
20. Never in her life ____ in such an important party, where she saw so many pop stars.
A. Lisa took part B. did Lisa take part
C. Lisa was taken part D. was Lisa taken part
11-15 ABACD 16-20 CBBCB
Copyright © 2010 - 2023 湖南求实创新教育科技有限公司 All Right Reserved.